On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Daurnimator <quae@daurnimator.com> wrote:
On 26 June 2014 02:48, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
PiL is not a Lua primer.
Yes, it is.

One should read it only after one has read the manual.
Although this would be nice, the lua manual is very.... for lack of a better word: thick.
Every statement has to be read very carefully, and there are many subtleties to catch out the new lua user.

The first stop for any potential lua programmer is PiL.

There is no way that I would be able to learn anything from the reference manual. I'm not a "fire hose" kind of guy.

It's fine that PiL is more casual and that it states that the reference is definitive, where it is not. Perfect synchronization is always nice, too.

-Andrew