> Then given your (valid) concerns, "!.\lua\?.dll;!.\?\core.dll" seems very
> reasonable to me. Because "core.dll" is common and lua inturprets "_" as
> directories in the dll_exports name, nesting is a "thing" to deal with, no
> matter what. The only place where this would be an issue is if a dll had
> direct C entry points and as you say, that would be an application issue
> that can be dealt with.

Please no -- foo.core is a common pattern for C-based modules, but it
is explicitly required with require("foo.core") in the Lua-based foo
module. Making the "core" part of the name an implicit search would
break modules everywhere, starting with LuaSocket. One shouldn't be
"creative" with module paths like that; the naming hierarchy of
modules, apart from the top-level modules in the standard Lua library,
belongs to module authors.

-- Hisham