We have our nanomsg binding that we recently remade. It was very C heavy and now it's the opposite. We're making an "nml.core" that looks *pretty much* exactly like the C API. The higher level binding wraps it in a Lua-esque API.

If you have made bindings this way, how far do you take the idea of sticking to the C API in your core layer?

Do you strive for perfect adherence to the original C documentation? Do you change things like "-1" or "0" to "false", where appropriate? Do you use multiple returns where their API is using pointers?

-Andrew