-----Original Message-----
From: lua-l-bounces@lists.lua.org [mailto:lua-l-bounces@lists.lua.org] On Behalf Of Paige DePol
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:58 PM
To: Lua mailing list
Subject: Re: Locking Table Member Additions

On Jun 17, 2014, at 6:43 PM, Leinen, Rick <RLeinen@leviton.com> wrote:

> One thing I neglected to mention is that the scripts are to be kept in the Kintetis' internal 256K data flash.  While the parsed script should be small, the source script can get large, especially if more than one is used.

Do you need to edit the scripts on the Kinetis itself?

If not you could use `luac` to compile your scripts into binary bytecode form allowing you to simply load your binary scripts on the device. This would skip the entire parsing into bytecode step on the device, which may be helpful.

The only issue is that you may need a system with the same endinness and integer size as the Kintetis, as `luac` does not cross-compile... which, IMO, is a feature that should be added. Though, I do not think it would be hard to create a custom `luac` to achieve the goal.

~pmd

Paige,

Now that's an interesting idea.  I had seen references to luac, but didn't know it could do that.

There is a bit of a debate as to whether we should allow editing/downloading of scripts from the device.  I'm of the opinion that we should not allow it, only deletions and uploads, as that would help keep the scripts (and a lot of company IP) more secure.  Having scripts in bytecode form would add another layer of security to those unfamiliar with Lua.

Rick