On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> wrote:
There is no implicit nil beyond the last comma, by definition. It was never valid code before, so there is no breakage. What Dirk posted before as lexical void meaning nil, was a suggestion. I'm not hot for that, since I don't think it helps readability, but I wouldn't mind either if others like it.

Cool. I don't mean to convey a desire to shoot this down. I do think that if you're looking at `foo(x, y, )`, and you don't have Lua's specification committed to memory, and you happen to care[1], then it would be a quick trip to the reference guide.

It's up to whomever to decide if that _slight_ ambiguity is worth it. I've gotten my share of  "unexpected symbol near ')" errors and would probably favor the change, if its presence meant no change to the argument count.

-Andrew

[1] An edge case to be sure, but I have code that uses select and does about the argument count, independent of the last nil.