I've released lua-periphery v1.0.2, which supports Lua 5.1 (including the LuaJIT implementation) and later: https://github.com/vsergeev/lua-periphery . You can also get it through luarocks or moonrocks once they update the version (soon I presume), or one of the binary rocks listed on the github page.

It turns out that LuaJIT does support those useful language features I mentioned in my last email -- bitwise operations via the included 'bit' library and hexadecimal escape characters in strings natively -- that PUC-Rio Lua 5.1 doesn't have and PUC-Rio Lua 5.2 does have, so lua-periphery should be useful with LuaJIT out of the box.

Thanks,
~vsergeev
Ivan Sergeev