On Friday, May 30, 2014, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate your real question, because it gives me just enough excuse to
> be a little bitchy, although this is not directed at you, but to the thread:
>
> I posted a hack that I made so that I could get comments on its value and in
> case it would be helpful to anyone else. I didn't ask for a change to Lua, a
> larger discussion on the REPL or a debate about security.

What does it mean, elsewhere in life, when people engaged in a conversation
abruptly change the subject? Talk about the weather and sports teams instead
of what _you_ want to talk about?

We're just being nice in a conventional sort of way when we could have been
bitchy. We could have said …. — no, I won't spoil the general politeness.

Dirk,

These conversations are great. Really. I like than and enjoy reading them. I would much rather people fork the thread when their changing the subject. It makes it easier to prioritize reading and it's just good etiquette.

Your analogy also works by highlighting an advantage that the mailing list holds. We should be in the habit of using the medium effectively.

No?

-Andrew