On May 25, 2014, at 7:24 PM, Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

> The LEM project is a project to make the distribution of Lua applications
> easier, through a similar mechanism that of Java's jar files.  A LEM [1] is
> a ZIP file that contains Lua modules and scripts.  And given that Lua can be
> extended to load modules from just about anywhere and from anything, we can
> load such files and modules directly from a ZIP file.

This sounds like, and looks like, a great idea. I will follow your progress and as your project matures would like to add LEM support to my own project, which has yet to be released. LEM is also a great name for the archive format!

> [1]	I'm not sure why Java picked the term "jar" for its distribution
> 	file name, but I suspect it's because a "jar" can hold coffee
> 	("java" is a slang term for "coffee" in the US).

JAR simply stands for [J]ava [AR]chive, and yes, is probably a play on "coffee jar" as Java loves to use coffee-related naming schemes. You might want to read up on the JAR spec as it could be useful to you to see what others have done successfully before you, especially as JAR and LEM are essentially doing the same thing just for different languages.

Good luck with your project, I am sure I will not be the only one keeping an eye on your progress!

~pmd