On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:20:49 PM Sean Conner wrote:
> is legal (and before you say no sane person would actually write the above,
> there's some saying I can't quite find that states that if it's possible, it
> will exist in some codebase somewhere).

Worse than that, CSS requires that a parser must accept *illegal* syntax
without failing. It must pass over the nonsense, while balancing braces,
parenthesis, and quotes, then ignore what it doesn't understand.

    @media screen {
     p { font-family: monospace }
     @foo @bar;
     p { color: red;  color{;color:maroon}; color: green }
     ) ( {} ) p {color: red }
     p {
       font-family: 'Times New Roman
       font-style: italic;

A conforming CSS processor must be accept this and reduce it to

    @media screen {
      p { font-family:monospace; color:green; font-style:italic; }
    }

Now, if you don't mind being non-conforming, I don't think anyone will be too
upset if you refuse to accept that unholy mess.

--
tom <telliamed@whoopdedo.org>