Hi,

I think something like this is a great idea, and is the way to move forward in distributing Lua Software. We have a similar system that uses an SQLite3 database as opposed to zip files, and a custom Lua executable that knows how to load them.

Our applications are then very simple script files that look like

#!/path/to/custom/lua
--instructions of how to find sqlite3 file
--and custom configuration information for this application deployment

I see that you load your shared objects by using package.loadlib after saving the file in /tmp. Unfortunately, in Linux, /tmp is normally mounted noexec, as is every other spot in the filesystem you can write to. I'd be interested in any thoughts people have as how to solve this. We have yet to come up with a nice way to extract and load shared objects on the fly.

Thanks,
Kevin