On 05/20/2014 01:19 PM, luciano de souza wrote:
Yes, I have a more serious problem. I added /usr/local/lib/lua/5.1 in
PATH in /etc/environment. However, it's not produce any effect.

you are not supposed to add it to the PATH environment. it can be added to
either LUA_CPATH or LUA_CPATH_5_1. but normally you don't need to do this,
since the default configuration of Lua have that path already built into Lua itself,

Using the command "man luarocks", I verified is really outdated: 15 june 2012.

that is a really old release. you'd better download a newer version from the
luarocks website[http://luarocks.org/releases/].

The problem is newer deb packages is not available on Ubuntu. C
compilations are a nightmare. I am not a C programmer.

well, you don't need to be a C programmer to be able to use software released
in the source code form (instead of the binary form or pre-compiled form).
it is usually done in 2 or 3 steps -- configure (maybe optional), build, install.
mostly, they are very simple commands.

for luarocks, see [http://luarocks.org/en/Installation_instructions_for_Unix]
IIRC, luarocks contains no C code (written entirely in pure Lua), you don't even
need any C compilers -- only `make' is needed.

  Even though, when you get to install, it's not easy to uninstall.

I had never need to `uninstall' a package from my system, but I guess I know
what your concern is. maybe you used to be a Windows user?
if you really cares, one simple way is to install the package in a so called `portable'
manner or `self-contained' manner. e.g. in the configure step,
    ./configure --prefix=/opt/luarocks
thus in order to `uninstall' the package, you simply remove that directory tree.