Lua is powerful but it needs more (string metatable) sandboxing... In Lua 5.1 it's possible but in Lua 5.2 it's completely impossible...
My idea to fix it? Lua states in Lua states!
Each Lua state can have its own string metatable, so all you would do is newstate(), then use state._G (or state._ENV) to access the global _ENV (aka _G) and other state.stuff to access other stuff... (state.stringmetatable or something to access the string metatable)

Please? I've been trying to sandbox string metatables since I started messing with Lua D: