> > It seems clear (to me, at least) that Lua does not interfere with what
> > you do with your own tables. The Lua convention refers only to its
> > own tables (the global environment and the registry).
>
> Should this convention be now extended to local variables then?

No. The convention is intended for global variables only. Local names is
a private business. _ENV just breaks compatibility, as several changes
between versions in Lua do. (But, as a matter of personal taste, I would
not use names like that for locals. What is the point in using such an
ugly and hard-to-type name for a local variable, where you have complete
control over its use and scope?)

-- Roberto