On Apr 22, 2014 7:10 PM, "Coroutines" <coroutines@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:
>
> > Remember "EMACS: Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping"? Today that means it's
> > just being evicted from the L3 cache on the i7 processor. Ahh, progress.
>
> Tell me more, father... what were the 80s like?

http://xkcd.com/1348/

I had a PC-1500 "pocket" computer in high school. People were not very excited about it. Later, we tricked the rest of society into building T1 lines to our houses below cost, got the price of a decent computer below $3000, and now the pocket computers are somewhat fashionable. And the pocket computers have *wireless* T1 lines. In return we have to put up with Twitter and the IMG tag, but I can live with that.

So we never really had to leave the early 90s; everybody else had to learn about anonymous trolling and the lurking dangers of mail archives. Politicians have not coped well.