On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:
> As an aside, I like the demarcation point of "Lua does UTF-8, but it does
> not know Unicode." It is always good to be clear what you are *not* trying
> to do.

I'm no Unicode expert, but this doesn't make sense to me. UTF-8 is
merely a Unicode encoding, so of course Lua 5.3 work 2 "knows"
Unicode. With the utf8 library, Lua can count, index and iterate over
Unicode code points in UTF-8-encoded strings, and convert sequences of
Unicode code points to UTF-8.

Of course, it provides no Unicode algorithms since they typically need
lookup tables larger than Lua itself, but these algorithms are now
much easier to implement thanks to the utf8 library.

Keith