Am 17.04.2014 15:43 schröbte steve donovan:

Just checked, I've got utils.type - but it always returns a string.
Seemed more consistent to me (assumes that MT may have a _name field)

It's `__name` now in Lua 5.3 (I used `__type` before, but I'm willing to adapt).

big reason why the default answer to "should I monkey-patch?" should
be "not yet"

No, that's already the "experts only" answer.

    "The First Rule of Program Optimization: Don't do it. The Second
     Rule of Program Optimization (for experts only!): Don't do it yet."
     — Michael A. Jackson

Works for many things ...

Philipp