I've been playing around with the new utf8 library for Lua 5.3 work2 and find it quite useful. Nice work. I have backported it to Lua 5.2.3 and it seems to work fine there as well, though still testing at this point.

The C coding was simple enough for my C coding skills--messing with lua internals is the first C programming I've done since college. I need to do some more testing to be sure everything is OK, but it looks good. I'm pretty busy right now, but should be able to post a proper diff in a few days.

-- Mike Nelson