It was thus said that the Great Tim Hill once stated:

> On Apr 7, 2014, at 6:43 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If Lua 5.3 were to come with a "standard extension library", consisting
> > of modules that are available by a mere "require mathx", "require lpeg",
> > etc, those modules having been built and placed into the default
> > loadpath and cloadpath by the default "make linux", "make mingw" etc, I
> > shall withdraw all opposition to the suggestion.
>
> +1 on that. As soon a script has a dependency on a library, using it goes
> +from “install lua and run the script” to “install lua, go to a bunch of
> +web sites and/or download a bunch of Lua rocks, some of which you will
> +have to compile .. oh, and make sure you have the right compiler .. oh,
> +and you need a particular version of xxx” etc etc...

  Your mention of "the right compiler" triggered a thought:  is the fagility
of require() due to Windows and not inherently with Lua itself?  (Or maybe a
distinction between a consumer operating system like Windows/Mac OS-X and a
non-consumer operating system like Unix? [1]) [2]

  -spc

[1]	Yes, I know that Mac OS-X is Unix underneath, but it's more geared
	towards a mass-consumer market.

[2]	The distinction I'm making is that a consumer operating system is
	geared towards people who aren't programmers by profession.  It's
	not to imply that you can't do development on such systems; just
	that doing development on such systems require specialized software
	be installed that normally doesn't come packaged with the base
	operating system.