On 04/07/2014 10:43 AM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
But since that is not on the table, the main argument in favour of
precisely sinh, cosh, tanh is that they belong to a class of functions
called "elementary" by mathematicians, which are commonly taught
even to engineering students in English-speaking countries, and
that their implementation involves subtle points.

I don't remember hyperbolic trig functions being elementary, only sin and cos and their inverses (not even tg). Tough I didn't study in a english speking country. :)

The only oportunity I've stumbled with sinh/cosh&family was when doing math with complex numbers, and that won't happen in Lua. That doesn't look like a general purpose tool to me.

OTOH, I do avoid modules that have to be built as much as possible.

OTOH, sinh & cosh can be defined as oneliner functions of exp just checking wikipedia.

Jorge