> - we think few people use them [...] sinh, cosh, tanh

Even if only a few people use these functions, it seems that they
could be seriously inconvenienced if the functions were removed. On
the other hand, those of us who do not use the functions are not
really inconvenienced by their presence - I believe these functions
are only thin wrappers around C functions and do not contribute
significantly to Lua's size.

> - deg, rad, pow: trivially done without the library.

I have no strong feelings either way about "deg" and "rad". The "pow"
function, however (since Lua, unlike C, has the ^ operator), seems
completely redundant. Given the redundancy, you could apply a
Python-esque "one way to do it" philosophy and justifiably remove
"pow".