On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 01:06:34 +0100
Richard Hundt <richardhundt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the first early release of Shine [1].
>
> Shine is a programming language which is a loose super-set of Lua, and
> is built on TvmJIT [2], a modified version of LuaJIT by François Perrad.
>
> The project - initially under the working name of Nyanga - grew out of
> seeing common requests for additions to the Lua language, such as a
> `continue` statement, ranges, default
> The language and runtime have since grown further to include many
> additional features, some of which are experimental, and all of which
> I'm happy to take feedback on. And becau
> Notable extensions to Lua include:
>
> * Bitwise operators.
> * Standard libraries (mostly FFI based).
> * LPeg language integration.
> * Classes and modules .
> * `continue` statement.
> * `try`, `catch`, `finally`
> * Destructuring assignment.
> * Pattern matching.
> * Default function parameters.
> * Function parameter guards.
> * Richer type system.
> * Concurrency primitives
> * OS Threads (experimental)
>
> Shine currently compiles on OS X and Linux. Work is under way on getting
> it to compile on MinGW.
>
> [1] https://github.com/richardhundt/shine
> [2] https://github.com/fperrad/tvmjit
>
> Feedback welcome!

The feature list looks awesome, the type system additions, function
parameter guards, classes and preemptive threads are of major interest
for me.

Building fails for me under Linux:

$ git clone https://github.com/richardhundt/shine
$ cd shine
$ make
[..]
CC        lib_tvm.o
CC        lib_init.o
AR        libtvmjit.a
GEN       op.h
make[2]: ./tvmjit: Command not found

I may be missing something. Sorry for not digging deeper into it yet.

I find it hard to endorse the notation class.func() providing an
implicit self.

- Timm

--
Timm S. Mueller <tmueller@schulze-mueller.de>
Schulze & Mueller GbR, Jungstr. 2, 10247 Berlin,