It would use one single buffer, possibly with precomputed sufficient size (if, e.g. all operands are strings). The .. operators use a buffer each plus the memory for the (intermediate) result strings. So string.concat() could save memory allocation operations and the multiple copy operations from one buffer into the next.

At least this is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong...

-- Oliver