On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com> wrote:
> The code generated has only one conditional branch … significant on a non super-scalar CPU.
>
> Mostly of course these are techniques used in assembly language “poking through” into C.

If we broaden the discussion to the greater Lua ecosystem as opposed
to limiting our scope to PUC-Rio, this can be relevant even in a
scripting language. An implementation such as LuaJIT (which I wouldn't
be surprised to see pick up the new bitops even though it hasn't
picked up many 5.2-isms) that generates machine code would benefit
from these kinds of optimizations.

/s/ Adam