On 03/15/2014 02:41 PM, Nils Nordman wrote:
Hi all!

I'm happy to announce the first release of the Howl editor, available at:

http://howl.io

Howl is a general purpose, text oriented, editor, that aims to be both
light-weight and fully customizable. It's built on top of the LuaJIT runtime,
uses Gtk for it's interface and can be extended in either Lua or Moonscript.
Howl draws a lot of inspiration from Emacs and Vim, and should feel familiar to
anyone who has used any of these editors. It runs on Linux, should run on the
*BSDs (albeit yet to be tested), and is potentially portable to other platforms
such as OSX and Windows by anyone with sufficient determination.

Howl is released as free software under the MIT license, with the source being
available on Github (https://github.com/nilnor/howl).

While this marks the first release, Howl has been in development for nearly two
years, and should be fully usable for day to day purposes (YMMV of course).

The homepage, http://howl.io, contains more information about Howl and what if
offers, as well as some screenshots that let you get a quick idea of how it
looks.

Cheers,

Nils

I'm very interested with this project.

it built successfully with some warnings, the build command line was
> make CC=clang PREFIX=~/.local

but when I tried it, there gave me this error message:

> [string "../lib/ljglibs/gtk/window.moon"]:93: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/home/pzc/interesting/howl/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/howl.svg' (code: 3)
>
> ** (howl:9654): CRITICAL **: Failed to run script: /home/pzc/interesting/howl/lib/howl/init.lua:133: [string "../lib/ljglibs/gtk/window.moon"]:93: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/home/pzc/interesting/howl/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/howl.svg' (code: 3)

My system is openSUSE 13.1, and the gtk version is 3.10.4-12.1.

> pzc-laptop:~ # zypper info gtk3-devel
> Reading installed packages...
>

> Information for package gtk3-devel:
> Repository: mirrors.sohu.com - update for openSUSE 13.1
> Name: gtk3-devel
> Version: 3.10.4-12.1
> Arch: i586
> Vendor: openSUSE