Update:

  assert(tostring(-0.0) == "-0.0")

fails under Windows, passes under Linux (CentOS 6 in a VM).

---

By the way, here is a problem in running some of the tests under Windows.
I know they are not designed to be portable, but it could be useful to run as many as possible of them in future pre-release tests (perhaps with a 'make windows' option?):

os.tmpname() cannot be used directly under Windows because the filename returned is of the type "\s160.", i.e. it is in the root directory instead of the %TEMP% directory of the current user. It works anyway if the user is administrator, which (thankfully!) is not usually the case with recent versions of Windows.

(I first encountered this problem with a large perl program that behaved strangely; it took some time to root out the actual cause)

--
  Enrico