On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Thiago L. <fakedme@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/2014 16:40, Dirk Laurie wrote:

>>> Ok, you want a plain match, same rules apply: it doesn't care about the
>>> index, it'll just try to find the data, for index -30 and string "cat"
>>> -30
>>> would be translated into -27 (because string length - 30) and then it
>>> would
>>> still match as "cat" is still on the string (which's 30 chars long with a
>>> padding of 27 empty spaces on the left).
>>
>> This is not what happens. There is no padding to the left. The -27 is
>> adjusted to be 1.
>>
> Yes, I know, but I think it should be changed/fixed...

Hmm.  I did do something screwy here.  I often write a function like
this: string.at = function (s1, s2, i) return i == string.find(s1, s2,
i) end

I was misunderstanding the purpose of string.find(), I expected to
match the needle at the index I give it.  I really don't know how I
got 3-4 replies in without noticing my err. :\  I should have been
using my at() function than find(), this entire thread is hooplah.  It
makes sense that it would reposition the starting index at the
beginning of the string if it expects to search forward through the
string/haystack.  Sorry guys, I missed my coffee. :(