On Feb 21, 2014, at 9:56 , steve donovan wrote:

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM, René Rebe <rene@exactcode.de> wrote:
On my 486DX with 8MB RAM running Linux this get's out-of-memory killed
reading a 10 MB example.
Likewise on my SparcStation 10.

Which are by modern standards, embedded-class machines.  And in that
case, you should make special solutions.   Such extensions can even
interoperate with Lua's file io, since the internal format is now
visible and documented.

Ahso, first talking about CP/M and whatnot doing magical text file mangling, and then my much newer, regular system examples do not count? Heck, they even run X, and Apache, …

Ok, your example also get's out of memory killed on my 1GB desktop reading a 2GB file.

Your points is? I should increase swap and just wait a bit?

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Jaegerstr. 67, DE-10117 Berlin
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de