On Feb 21, 2014, at 8:41 , steve donovan wrote:

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Ulrich Schmidt <u.sch.zw@gmx.de> wrote:
There is no and there will never exist a fire-and-forget solution for
reading 8-bit text streams.

This is a good point, and the _real_ reason why text and binary should
be treated differently. And IHMO this is a much bigger priority.

As for wanting io.lines() to work with text containing unprintables, I
still can't see the point.  Can we not create a separate library to do
this, for those people who actually need it?

A separate "library" instead of a few lines patch to a core function, seriously?

And if your text files never have \0 then you will not notice a difference anyway.

As I said, I can live with another local patch to my Lua copy, however, I only intended to make my preferred dynamic language work better, more deterministic for everyone.

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Jaegerstr. 67, DE-10117 Berlin
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de