On 19 February 2014 14:57, René Rebe <rene@exactcode.de> wrote:
> I do not really understand how there can be so much argument for something
> as simple as this. This bug only exists because this old-fashioned C
> function
> does not return how much data was read. If this C function would return a
> pointer to the end of the data (like the new getline(3)) we would not even
> have
> an discussion now. Amazing how much energy goes into preventing other
> people to improve something; fix an issue.

People are just trying to discern whether or not it's worthwhile to attempt such
a thing, within the confines of standard C. If it can't be done portably in C89,
then it doesn't meet the criteria for inclusion in Lua. Knowing that a
patch won't
be accepted before, rather than after, you spend time working on it is just
consideration, not stubborness. There's nothing to stop you from implementing
it as an external module or a proof-of-concept if you still want to.