> $ lua ./program.luac
> lua: not enough memory
>
> As far as I remember, this stopped working on x86/64.

Yes, you're right. I'm sorry about that.

> I'd be very much interested in a solution for the same for Lua 5.2 and
> all architectures.

I'll try to do it soon. I didn't think there was any demand for it.

> If there is no all-encompassing solution available, some ideas and
> comments on a more lasting, more canonical design of a Lua module
> compiler/linker would be appreciated.

There are other solutions such as these (and probably others I forget):

http://matthewwild.co.uk/projects/squish/home

http://loop.luaforge.net/release/preload.html

http://l-bia.sourceforge.net/