Hi folks,

as a PhD student I am using (and loving) lua on a daily basis. For my scientific work I am greatly relying on gsl-shell (big thanks to Francesco Abbate) and luajit (big thanks to Mike Pall). For a gnuplot online interface (www.plotshare.com) I am relying on orbit/wsapi and the kepler project as a whole.
Thus I would love to see one or another lua project in this years Google Summer of Code lineup. Organization applications commence at 3 February 2014 - http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014.

I understand that attempts in the recent years have had minor success and I am wondering about the reason. For one thing ideas came up here the mailing list but these ideas were not picked up by the people who would be responsible to register the referenced project.
Also sometimes the ideas were isolated and independent from existing open source projects. This makes it difficult because you need to provide a project administrators and substitutes and a working communication platform which is usually available in existing open source projects.

I could imagine that e.g. the kepler project as a whole is large enough to provide a long list of possible project ideas and is an ideal candidate for the program. I am also sure that they are excited about getting new features into the project. The official guidelines for applications of mentoring organizations can be found here:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2014/help_page#1._How_does_a_mentoring_organization

For my part, I would love to see an easy-to-use support for parallel computing in gsl-shell but I have no idea if that is feasible or necessary (with LuaThreads, ZeroMQ bindings and so on).

Maybe this time something comes up.

Best,
Ben