On Jan 21, 2014, at 10:15 PM, Jeremy Ong <jeremycong@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can also just type "which lua" to find the path to the lua executable that is the first on in the path.
>
> If you're up for installing homebrew, I tend to think it's a bit easier to manage packages such as lua. You can always install it to some known directory by passing a custom prefix to "./configure" and adding that to the front of the path too.

Yes, the "which" command would also work instead of parsing the path manually, however, I was endeavouring to explain the issue rather than just give a simple solution with no details of where the underlying problem was! :)

The original poster seems to have Lua installed without knowing where it came from, as it is not a standard feature of OSX. The original Lua should probably be backed up before a newer version is installed in case something on their system is expecting the older Lua.

~pmd~