> The problem can be easily reproduced by a standalone lua.exe included in
> a distribution:
>
> [...]
> 2. I/O operations DO NOT clear the EOF indicator, despite they return a
> valid, read characters.

Isn't this just a bug in libc? IIUC, in ANSI C, once the eof indicator
is set, any read should return EOF...

  7.19.3 Files

  11. [...] The byte input functions read characters from the stream as if
  by successive calls to the fgetc function.

  7.19.7.1 The fgetc function

  3. If the end-of-file indicator for the stream is set, or if the stream
  is at end-of-file, the end-of-file indicator for the stream is set and
  the fgetc function returns EOF.

-- Roberto