Reading the thread about LuaRocks, LuaDist and binaries...

I plan to write a portable script using serial communication, as part of a larger microcontroller educational project. So that script would just be a corollary that should 'just work' without distracting my readers from the main task.

I'd rather use Lua than Python (also because data preprocessing is already done in Lua) but I am a bit lost in the libraries forest. Is there a simple way for (mostly) clueless users to just install a single binary package on Windows/Linux/OSX and be able to execute a Lua script using RS-232 communication?

Or is there a better simple way to get that capability?
(where 'simple' = just run the installer and press OK)

--
  Enrico