Here my 2 cents:

Yes, if we are looking for new features, we will find a lot of ideas to implement. I like lua for his simple set of "features". What lua makes so lovely, is this clever chosen set of few features. And as less features a language has, as easy is it, to optimize the compiled code like luaJIT does. For me it does not matter how i write my source code as long the compiler creates the same fast code. In case, lua get more and more new "features", useful only in special cases, the interpreter/compiler footprint becomes bigger and bigger and optimizing compilers will fail more often. Thats no useful result for me.

Ulrich.