Yes, my library "upb" is a larger effort of which bindings to Lua are
just a part. I have schema classes and an optimized decoder written in
C+DynASM that can be easily bound to any language runtime. And I have
plans to extend this to other data formats like JSON and even to bind
it to my dormant Gazelle library (http://www.gazelle-parser.org/) for
LPeg/Bison-like text parsing.

The vision is:

  {C, C++, Lua, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, etc.} x
  {Protocol Buffers, JSON, Thrift, Avro, Regexes, Text Parsing} x
  Highly optimized C+JIT encoders/decoders

All in a single library. The whole vision will take a while, but I'm
hoping you'll see PB and JSON for Lua at least this year.