D interfaces with C APIs perfectly fine without any additional
overhead. Writing an app in D and linking with C is no different at
the link level than writing the app in C, so there's no reason to
undertake such a project. LuaD binds with 5.1 and provides a
convenience wrapper on top of it. If you want to use 5.2, there's also
DerelictLua [1], but in that case you don't get the wrapper.

[1] https://github.com/DerelictOrg/DerelictLua

--
Mike Parker