On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:10 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
2014/1/3 Sir Pogsalot <sir.pogsalot@gmail.com>:

> I would not know this is intentionally disallowed unless I read the
> Lua manual.

Posting on lua-l is fun. Reading the manual and perusing PiL is
hard work, but eventually pays off.

A famous professor of philosophy was taking an eye examination.
With his patient's head clamped, the opthalmologist became chatty.
"So of what earthly use is this philosophy thing?" he asked. The
philosopher replied: "It helps one to avoid asking silly questions."

The point I was trying to make that while reading the docs is always a good idea, a language that is consistent with its behaviors is self-explanatory -- and from the perspective of the user, cleaner (imo). :-)