On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<javier@guerrag.com> wrote:
> if doing middle insertions or complex replacements, then go for full
> ropes; but if most of the processing is just concatenating at the end,
> the clarity of a string array is a big plus.

I suspect that even insertions into a string array are efficient
enough for most purposes.

Recently Stroustrup was pointing out that inserting into a resizeable
array (std::vector) is just as good as a linked-list (std::list) for
40,000 elements, due to locality penalties for the list.  I suspect
that my education is getting increasingly out of date ;)