On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Philipp Janda <siffiejoe@gmx.net> wrote:

You can have your comfort back by means of an `__index` metamethod. I sometimes use this pattern in my code (e.g. [1]). I'm not sure though if this proposal is worth the effort, it only saves three lines of code in a very special case, and since `__pairs` is called only once per for-loop there is no obvious performance advantage either.

I am simply proposing that it allow table assignments like __newindex & __index.  It saves memory more than execution speed as a redundant function need not be defined. :>