I was working with defining an "object" that holds a list. Due some
ways in which it'd be used, the list has a metatable. When someone
sets the list to `nil`, i need to clear it.

This made me think of the past discussion about 5.3 having a
table.clear/wipe method[1].

If this does happen, I humbly throw out that the following would be helpful:

1: It not wipe out the metatable.
2: There be a __clear/wipe metamethod so that I can use the same call
and also catch any cleanup that may need to happen as a result, in
cases where a simple wipe would be problematic.

--Andrew

[1]: http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2013-11/msg00669.html