On Dec 12, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:

> Luiz has written four arbitrary precision bindings:
> lbc, lbn, lmapm and lqd.
>
> Does anyone know what their respective strengths and
> weaknesses are? Which one should we preferably use
> for computation with large integers (aka bignum-s)?

bn provides aribitrary precision integers; Apache-like license. Of the four options, bn will probably have the best performance for large integer computations. You need to have OpenSSL installed.

mapm provides aribitrary precision integers or floating point values, and has many elementary functions. The default MAPM library is NOT thread safe.

lbc does floating point arithmetic, no elementary functions — portions are subject to GPL.

qd provides a quad-double datatype (approx. 64 decimal digits), but not arbitrary precision.