On 12/10/2013 08:48 AM, John Hind wrote:
This is interesting:

http://micropython.org/

If only it was Lua! I know there has been some work on this sort of
thing (i.e. http://www.eluaproject.net/) but nothing as elegant as
this hardware implementation of Python. Just plug it into any USB
host computer and edit the scripts as if on a flash drive, whilst a
virtual com port gives you a console channel over the same USB.

That's exactly what I get with eLua and a MBED[1] board :)

The main issue for these single chip systems is RAM - typically at
the highest end you are working with 100-200KiB of RAM and 1-2MiB of
Flash. This is plenty for a basic "bare metal" Lua implementation

The MBED is a Cortex-M3 with 64kb RAM and 512kb flash. And yes, RAM is an issue.

To be honest, what distressess me most from this board is the cost: around 50 us$. At that price, my question is why not use a RPi or Beagle Bone plus a cheap microcontroller (say, a PIC18) for extending the IO.

Jorge
[1] mbed.org