Am 09.12.2013 17:26 schröbte Marc Lepage:

[...]

That seems to work well enough. Mapping tables stored in the registry.
Would it be beneficial to use upvalues instead? (Pros/cons? Performance?) I
haven't really done upvalues from C, I will check the docs.

Any suggestions/improvements?

luaL_checkoption	1.47	seconds
bsearch + memcmp	1.24	seconds
bsearch + strcmp	1.27	seconds
upvalue table	0.95	seconds
registry table	1.28	seconds

I only did string->enum, not the other way around. It seems that the extra `rawget()` makes a huge difference (at least for the no-op test functions), which probably also means that all those approaches should be fine for real functions doing non-trivial work ...

Marc

Philipp