Currently you can only associate a lua table with a userdata through lua_setuservalue() -- I wish you could also associate userdata.

Not sure if this isn't already possible with some other function, but what I think I need is to be able to associate one userdata with another for collection -- or just a bit of memory to be collected when the one Lua-exposed userdata become unreferenced?

I have a project where I create userdata from a third-party lib -- I cannot change its structure, I must expose it to Lua as userdata (that's it).  I want to keep private information about that userdata but I don't want to keep track of its deallocation from C, I just want to associate it with the userdata I expose to Lua and have the private data available through getuservalue() and I want it deallocated by the GC when the exposed userdata becomes unreferenced.

To me, it would feel less 'to the point' to contain that userdata within a table to then associate with the original userdata that's created for me.  It would feel less readable and sort of ugly to lua_getuservalue() and then fetch the first sequence index for the userdata I need containing my privates (tee hee).

Is this an acceptable suggestion or am I off my rocker?