Thanks Philipp,

I was just able to do this with some modifications of the instructions on this page
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/lua.html

Not sure of the reason for the patch that's included there (which I did run), but the install process worked to create the desired shared libraries and object.  I just needed to adjust the paths to create the object and libraries in the correct place for use with mod security on a cPanel server.

jim