Rena, you should check out the "Unpack Tables by Name" patch over on the Power Patches page (http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaPowerPatches)

I have not patched my Lua with this patch yet, however, it looks like it would do exactly what you desire; namely let you assign locals to the result of table key lookups in a concise manner!

From the Power Patches page:

Enhancement to the assignment statement to unpack named values from tables using the in keyword:
    local a, b, c in some_table_expression

Is syntactic sugar for:
    local t = some_table_expression
    local a, b, c = t.a, t.b, t.c