Hi:

> Anyway, it seems we both agree the C documentation is quite convoluted
> about this topic.  So, the question remains whether it is worth trying
> to explain something similar in the Lua manual, versus leaving it open
> to the user's imagination or own tests...

You are going to have a hard time explaining it. BTW, in more than 20
years I've never been able, in a real program,  to read an input file
with fscanf in real code ( except private, internal files written with
fprintf and test programs ). I've always had to resort to read a line,
do some string processing, sscanf some chunks. And this was mainly due
to the uncertainity about the outcomes of scan errors (ok, sometimes I
did ftell, fscanf and fseek back to recover, but this is cheating ).

Francisco Olarte.