On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Mason Mackaman <masondeanm@aol.com> wrote:
> okay, I've figured out a lot, and I want to install lua, but I don't have the permissions. How do I get them?

Hi Mason,

On the Mac, administrator access is required in order to place files
in the /usr/local/ directory. This isn't the case on many other
systems, so the instructions are sometimes unclear about this fact.

Assuming that you have a normal Mac user account (and not a restricted
one), then in terminal:

1: type `make`

2: type `sudo make install`

3: It will ask you for your password. Enter the password that you use
to log into your Mac.

That should do it. `sudo` means `make me a pseudo-superuser for just
this one command.` Perhaps it's a misspelling of `pseudo` or it means
`superuser-do`...

Anyway. I highly recommend homebrew[1] if this doesn't work.

-Andrew

[1] http://brew.sh/