Actually, I just recalled that we had an extensive discussion of
Lua table semantics back in 2011 [1] and Henning Diedrich submitted
a patch [2] that can quickly answer the question whether the array
part has holes.

IIRC, we even did a full test of the patch using the Lua test-suit
and found no problems.

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/lua-table-semantics/PMPUR5RO9Ek/2Hf40XMIdqEJ

[2] http://eonblast.com/trucount/

--Leo--